Sunday 15 August 2010

Do cloned cows highlights other problems

I was recently lucky enough to be asked to take part in the 'What does Bracknell Think' opinion section of The Bracknell Standard.

The question was 'Would you want to eat meat and milk from cloned animals'?

My full response (edited version in the paper) was;

"I would not be too concerned about eating meat from a cloned cow. Personally I'm more concerned about cross contamination in the natural world from genetically modified food.


I do think that this episode shows a fundamental problem in our farming industry, Which is the reliance on foreign imports where regulations are different. In this case I believe the cloned cow was from the US.


Farmers simply do not receive enough funds from supermarkets to give them a decent living. This has lend to more reliance on foreign imports both in food terms and in this case breeding. This is the real problem along with the lack of British farming to cover our growing population leading to more reliance on imports."

So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment